Wednesday, August 19, 2026RSS Feed
Aurora

Aurora Police Recover Stolen Gun With Machine Gun Conversion Device After Foot Chase With Two Teens

Aurora police recovered three loaded handguns, including a stolen gun with a machine gun conversion device, after a foot chase with two teens on the city's East Side. An 18-year-old and a 15-year-old face felony weapons charges.

DH
·3 min read

Three Loaded Firearms Seized on Aurora’s East Side

Aurora police recovered three loaded handguns from two teenagers after a foot chase on the city’s East Side last Thursday, including a stolen gun modified to fire automatically, according to the Aurora Police Department.

Investigators from the department’s Special Operations Group attempted to make contact with Johnathan Rios, 18, and a 15-year-old boy near the intersection of North East Avenue and Fulton Street at approximately 8:32 p.m. on May 14, the department said in a news release.

Both teens fled on foot after police identified themselves.

"During the pursuit, investigators observed behavior consistent with both subjects being armed," the department said in a news release.

The 15-Year-Old Apprehended With Loaded Handgun

The 15-year-old was caught after a brief chase. Police found a loaded silver and black Glock 43X 9mm handgun tucked into his waistband, according to the release. The weapon contained a loaded 10-round magazine.

Rios kept running through nearby yards before investigators caught him.

Stolen Gun With Machine Gun Conversion Device Recovered

During the pursuit, police said they watched Rios discard two firearms near a fence line. Officers recovered both weapons.

One was a black Glock 21 .45 caliber handgun loaded with 13 rounds. The other was a black Glock 23 .40 caliber handgun loaded with a 29-round extended magazine containing three live rounds.

That second gun had been reported stolen outside of Aurora, police said. It was also equipped with a machine gun conversion device, commonly known as a "switch," which can significantly increase a handgun’s rate of fire.

Investigators also recovered a box containing 50 rounds of .40 caliber ammunition from Rios, according to the release.

Neither teen had a valid Firearm Owner’s Identification (FOID) card or concealed carry license, the department said.

Charges Filed

Rios faces the following charges, according to police:

  • Aggravated unlawful use of a weapon — machine gun (Class X Felony)
  • Aggravated unlawful use of a weapon — FOID not eligible (Class 3 Felony)
  • Aggravated unlawful use of a weapon (Class 4 Felony) — five counts

The 15-year-old faces these charges:

  • Aggravated unlawful use of a weapon — FOID not eligible (Class 3 Felony)
  • Aggravated unlawful use of a weapon (Class 4 Felony) — three counts

Police said the investigation remains ongoing and additional charges are possible pending further forensic analysis and digital evidence review.

Police Chief Highlights Proactive Enforcement

The case began when Aurora police received information about individuals allegedly displaying firearms in Aurora neighborhoods, the department said. Investigators identified the two teens and conducted surveillance operations on a residence before attempting to make contact.

"The proactive work by our Special Operations Group investigators directly led to the recovery of multiple illegal firearms from our streets, including a stolen handgun outfitted with a machine gun conversion device capable of significantly increasing its rate of fire," Aurora Police Chief Matt Thomas said in a statement.

"This case highlights the dangers associated with illegal firearms possession and the importance of proactive enforcement efforts aimed at preventing violence before it occurs."

The recovery of a modified automatic weapon from an 18-year-old and a loaded handgun from a 15-year-old underscores the ongoing challenge Aurora police face in keeping illegal firearms off the city’s streets.

Aurorapolicefirearmscrimeteensweapons charges

More From Illinois State News

Peoria

Peoria Man Jailed Until Trial After Allegedly Beating 6-Year-Old Boy He Was Babysitting

Sammie Wright Jr., 47, is charged with aggravated battery to a child after allegedly beating a 6-year-old boy he was babysitting in Peoria. A judge ordered him held without bond after prosecutors said the child suffered C-shaped injuries consistent with being struck by a cord or rope.

Daniel Hayes
Rockford

Rockford: No Charges Filed After Miranda Joiner Died in Winnebago County Jail Cell

Winnebago County State's Attorney J. Hanley announced no criminal charges will be filed after Miranda Joiner, 30, died in her jail cell in December 2025. An autopsy ruled the cause of death cardiac arrhythmia. The investigation found no reckless action by staff.

Daniel Hayes
Springfield

Springfield: Social Media Tips Lead to Arrest of Motorcyclist Facing Felony Reckless Driving Charges

Springfield man Austin Huddleston, 30, was arrested on July 4 facing four felony counts of aggravated fleeing and eluding after social media tips helped Illinois State Police track down a dangerous motorcyclist in Sangamon County.

Daniel Hayes
Malik Wrightsell

Chicago: Malik Wrightsell Charged With Attempted Murder After Shooting Two Officers in South Shore

Malik Wrightsell, 34, is charged with attempted murder after allegedly shooting two Chicago police officers during a South Shore traffic stop. Both officers survived thanks to ballistic vests. The shooting occurred during a Fourth of July weekend that saw Chicago's least violent holiday period in seven years.

Daniel Hayes